First sedative which became known to human is alcohol.
- However, the side effect of the heavy dependence has forced people to look for him a safer alternative. Available Now soothing (sedative) drugs are divided into two categories: vegetable (valerian, motherwort) and synthetic (benzodiazepines, barbiturates). And if the first can be freely bought in any drugstore, the latter is highly desirable to adopt, in accordance with the appointment of a doctor, as they can cause serious side effects.
But calming effect is not unique to the above mentioned drugs.
For example, despite the fact that the main purpose of the antihistamine diphenhydramine, it is also effective as a sedative.
Valerian, Motherwort and so on.
- Of course, the most popular sedative drug origin – is valerian. However, at the moment there is not enough research evidence on the effectiveness of valerian and safe dosages. Nevertheless, it determined that it is necessary to take care with some synthetic sedatives, St. John’s wort and kava kava plant. It is also advisable not to use it for a long time.
- Other plants that are traditionally used as sedatives – is motherwort, kava kava, St. John’s wort, passionflower (Passiflora) and herbal teas (such as “New Pass”).
- The effectiveness of motherwort proved not quite, but still have evidence of this. It is important to know that taking it during pregnancy is not allowed, because it can cause miscarriage.
- Despite notable soothing effect, presently kava banned in several countries (including in Germany, Switzerland, and Canada), as it has been established that it is the cause of liver disease.
- With regard passionflower (Passiflora) there have been several small studies, to some extent establish the effectiveness of this plant. Typically, it is used in herbal teas.
- The effectiveness of St. John’s wort is also open to question, but experts are inclined to believe that it is still effective. However, it should be used with caution, since it can influence the effect of other drugs, in particular, increases the risk of pregnancy when taking oral contraceptives.
Since the effectiveness of these funds is questionable and there is no conclusive studies relevant, it is difficult to say which of the plants work better than others. Therefore presently set this patient may only empirically.
Now in civilized countries there are two main types of medications have a calming effect: barbiturates (eg, valokordin, Corvalol) and benzodiazepines (particularly seduksen, relanium, lorazepam, diazepam). Preparations of these groups are different from each other duration of action, side effects, etc.. Some of them are sold by prescription only. In other cases, it is important to remember that as a result of uncontrolled use of patients develop dependency on these drugs and / or addiction to them the need to increase the dose. Also, if abruptly stop taking this product after prolonged use can cause withdrawal symptoms. That is why the appointment of such drugs should be doing a physician who will continue to adjust the dosage.